News:

PROTON pic BASIC Compilers for PIC, PIC24, dsPIC33

Main Menu

moving positron to new PC

Started by JonW, Jul 18, 2022, 11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonW

My current laptop is on its way out and I want to move positron to another machine in its entirety without installing again.  This has been discussed before that there is a simple way to copy a folder over on the forum but I cant find where its is. 

Anyone know what files to transfer?

Thanks

Jon

keytapper

Some uninstall program may tell you what to be moved.
Ignorance comes with a cost

Stephen Moss

Quote from: JONW on Jul 18, 2022, 11:59 AMMy current laptop is on its way out and I want to move positron to another machine in its entirety without installing again.
What is the issue with re-installing, it does not take very long?
If for some reason that is not an option can you not either take the HD from your old PC and put in in the new one or clone it to the HD in the new PC, the latter taking longer than re-installing.

Excluding my program (.BAS) file which are on my Google drive, I have files in the following locations...
C:\Windows\Users\Insert_UserName\PDS
C:\Windows\Users\Insert_UserName\AppData\Roaming\PDS - this is a hidden file becasue Microsoft generally don't want people messing with it, and the main installation is in
C:\Program Files (x86)\ProtonIDE

But is may not be as simple as just copying the files over, particualrly when it comes to updating/uninstalling as there are Windows registery enteries to consider as well, so I really think you would be better off installing it on your new PC rather than tryign to copy the necessary program files over.

top204

You are better off installing the compiler on the new machine because of the software registration mechanism. You can move the code around on the the machine, but moving it to a new machine "will" cause problems later on, and at random intervals, which is what the protection does. It does not look all the time at certain aspects of the protection, but at random events and at several locations and files in locations.

JonW

I can re-install no problem but thought it may  all be local, just being lazy ;D .  I will just have to ensure all my includes are copied over

Cheers

J