News:

PROTON pic BASIC Compilers for PIC, PIC24, dsPIC33

Main Menu

Future of Proton Basic

Started by Yves, Feb 15, 2021, 08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yves

Hello Protoners,

Is Proton will keep evolving or is it going to end as an active application? I really hope not.

Regards,

Yves
Yves

top204

The compilers are far from finished, regardless of what others have tried to do to them!

As long as I am capable of adding and improving the compilers, I will!!! And I am "very much" capable. :-)

And this forum, setup by two good people, shows that the compilers have many, many, years left in them. And the good people who have joined it and are giving support to other users also shows their future in OK. :-)

The next "upgrade" adds new devices and a new variable type, and additions to the manuals, and new names! It's just that I have had so much going on in my life recently, I have been a bit slow to tidy, organise, upload and announce the upgrade. If possible, I am looking into widening the microcontrollers that are supported with future compilers i.e. ARM M0 etc....

With someone trying to destroy the dedicated work I have done for the past 17 year on teh compilers, and my "so called" daughter pulling out of the house I was guarantor for and leaving me in £1,800 debt because of her missed rents and damages to the house she was in, as well as the physical and psychological problems I have that are the symptoms of the brain hemorage..... It has been rather a tryng few months, and it is going to stay rather stressful until I pay off the debt somehow. I think of it more as a theft and a betrayal, than a debt.

But one thing has been proven to me..... I will never "fully" put my trust in another human being.

But we have to get on with life for as long as we can, and not let others destroy dreams. :-)  My dream is to move back down to North Norfolk and live out the rest of my life with my lovely wife and our three beautiful cats (our little girls), and enjoy my electronics and programming in a garage converted into a workshop/office, and go to the east of england antiques fair twice a year and sandringham and the other lovely places down there, as we used to do. So we are saving as much as we can to get back down there. Well..... we were saving until recently. :-(   You do not realise what you had until it is gone.

John Drew

Les, I think you already know that you have many friends through the forum and our use of your amazing compilers.
We may all be separated by distance but we care about you and call you our friend.  Keep that thought when things get tough.
John

keytapper

@top204
I think you need supporters to help you. Some how you'll be alleviate the load and pursue higher target. Then you will still the BDFL of the project.
Imagine Torvalds has sold GitHub to Microsoft, how much could he realize? But its works are FOSS.
In facts you just go two of them to set up a new site.

I wonder why Microchip doesn't supports your project, AFAIK you are bring them a little boost for their product.

Sorry for the family, I'm in a similar soup. I tried to caring the family and  I got little or no reward.
Ignorance comes with a cost

Yves

Dear Les,

I'm glad to hear that you will be continuing the passion of your creation. You have been my guru in programming and I will support Proton Basic compiler right through. I will also try to promote that excellent application from my far deep Africa place  Zimbabwe. I wish you all the best in your endeavor.

Kind regards,

Yves 
Yves