Positorn Project Replicatior (PPR) - Project files for multiple user accounts

Started by Stephen Moss, May 29, 2022, 02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Moss

Hello everyone,
like me, you may have decided to keep your Positron code files files on a network drive (i.e. OneDrive or Google Drive) so that you can access them from multiple location and on multiple PC's. What I noticed with Positron Studio is that if I create a Project on PC-Work with Username X and then access it from PC-Home where my Username is Y, while it opens the primary project file, the file explorer is blank and does not show all the files that the project is comprised of.
I traced the issue down to the fact that my Username is not the same on both PC's thus if the username in the Project file does not match that I am currently logged in as the Project will not open correctly.

As the UserName on my work PC is fixed by them and I did not want to use the same Username at home, I wrote the Positron Project Replicator (PPR). PPR will copy the selected Project file and change the username in the new project file to that you are currently signed in as, thereby allowing you to open the Project file in Positron Studio correctly.

You have the option to maintain a single Project file (overwriting) each time you change the Username or to copy it with either "Home", "Work", "Laptop" or your current Username appended to the file to help you identify which PC it corresponds to.
PPR probably won't be of much use to most people, but maybe in a work environment as you could tell from the username part of the most recent Project file who updated it last which may be useful if you are having problems with the resulting program. In case someone may find it useful it can be downloaded from here.   

PPR is a standalone Windows executable (.exe) file but it can be installed as a Tool in Positron Studio for easy access whereby it only takes a couple of mouse clicks and you're done. The software has been tested as much as it can be by one person, consequently I cannot guarantee that is free from defects or suitable for the purpose for which you are using it.