News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

Les USB routine

Started by Yves, May 13, 2022, 06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yves

Hello all,

My USB to RS232 works very the application suggested  by Trastikata called called "Termite", but after have tried many other COM programs none of them works including the Positron serial com in the IDE. I'm trying to pass data to the excellent PLX- DAQ from Parallax that takes any com data and then transfer them to excel automatically but ignore virtual COM communications. What is so special about virtual UBS to COM port coming from USB pic enable ? any suggestion?

Regards,

Yves
Yves

keytapper

I found an excellent tiny program, which is called RealTerm. The best of the freeware, I think.
Ignorance comes with a cost

tumbleweed

TeraTerm and PuTTY are two other good, free terminal programs that support virtual COM ports.

For a version of PLX-DAQ that supports more COM ports, see
https://forum.arduino.cc/t/plx-daq-version-2-now-with-64-bit-support-and-further-new-features/420628

basiclover

TeraTerm and PuTTY do they work both in WIN 7 and WIN 10 64 bits?

tumbleweed

Yes.

I use TeraTerm on win7 x64. I think it's one of the most flexible feature-wise. In addition to supporting USB CDC connections it supports scripting macros, file download protocols, network sockets and telnet, just to name a few things.

Plus, it's free.

basiclover

Yves

Thank you for all suggestions I will try them all but what has to work for me is log on Excel, Maybe the new version will accept CDC serial Com
Yves

trastikata

Quote from: Yves on Jun 07, 2022, 02:40 PMThank you for all suggestions I will try them all but what has to work for me is log on Excel, Maybe the new version will accept CDC serial Com

As a temporary solution, you can try using some virtual null-modem emulating programs and forward the data to a new virtual port.

Another solution is to use HID interface and write a program in MS VS  that will write either in Excel, or you can forward the data to a virtual COM port, created with MS VS, which to my experience did not have problems being read from.

Yves

Quote from: trastikata on Jun 07, 2022, 06:22 PM
Quote from: Yves on Jun 07, 2022, 02:40 PMThank you for all suggestions I will try them all but what has to work for me is log on Excel, Maybe the new version will accept CDC serial Com

As a temporary solution, you can try using some virtual null-modem emulating programs and forward the data to a new virtual port.

Another solution is to use HID interface and write a program in MS VS  that will write either in Excel, or you can forward the data to a virtual COM port, created with MS VS, which to my experience did not have problems being read from.

I have tried null-modem like com0com. and everything else to convert virtual port to a "normal port" nothing works. My requirement is to have continuous logging data to excel. Looking at other the ways capture data and list them in excel. The problem is I have not found information about the differences between virtual serial port and normal serial port. Is it an issue with the PIC USB protocol. Looking at Arduino or Atmel seem not having any issue. I'm really stuck with these issue. Surely some one in Positron has already workout a solution.

Yves   
Yves

trastikata

It is a driver issue I think - the PIC COM port emulator only works on USB2 ports if I remember correctly.  Plug in the device on the back of the PC in a USB2 port - Black USB port (not the front ports, not Red or Blue) on your PC and it might work.

towlerg

Quote from: trastikata on Jun 19, 2022, 02:20 PMPlug in the device on the back of the PC in a USB2 port - Black USB port (not the front ports, not Red or Blue) on your PC and it might work.

FWIW USB3 et al are by specificaion downward compatible, way down.

trastikata

Quote from: towlerg on Jun 19, 2022, 04:37 PM
Quote from: trastikata on Jun 19, 2022, 02:20 PMPlug in the device on the back of the PC in a USB2 port - Black USB port (not the front ports, not Red or Blue) on your PC and it might work.

FWIW USB3 et al are by specificaion downward compatible, way down.

I just tested the code to confirm what I remembered - indeed it is a driver problem. Plugging it to the USB3, USB1 or USB Power Charging ports forces the Proton virtual COM port to become unreadable by some applications. While when plugging it to the USB2 port it works.

Note: I am using AMD system, I'll test this on an Intel system later today.

Yves

I have managed to get my virtual com port to be readable using  HHD Virtual Serial Port Tools (Trial) by using alias or splitter functions. This is a very nit software.  Unfortunately all those apps ask up to US$150 for license I think it is a little too dear. Is anyone knows a Free or cheaper  apps which do the same thing? I'm using Win10 64bit with Intel processor.

Regards,

Yves
Yves

Yasin

https://www.hw-group.com/software/hw-vsp3-virtual-serial-port
https://freevirtualserialports.com/

There is a serial terminal program called YAT (For me, there is no better terminal in the universe than this). There is a "USB Ser/HID" type connection option in this program. Maybe this option can be a different method path.

normnet

I second TeraTerm and as mentioned it's free.