News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

ST7735 Library

Started by joesaliba, Jan 09, 2022, 11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sommi

Hi!

Has anybody used the ST7789? Main differences to ST7735?

Nice SundaySommi
KISS - keep it simple and stupid

joesaliba

Thanks Pepe,

Will have a look at it.

Joe

joesaliba

Pepe,

By any chance, do you have small fonts please? I am counting about 8 pixels high on an image I have.

Fonts have a default colour of white. How can I change paper colour of a text to transparent so if I have a background with two colours and text is in between these colours I do not have a white box?

Note number 10, and also number 20 paper colour.

Split background.jpg

Thank you

Joe

Sommi

joesaliba

I did a lot of reading regarding fonts for this display. It looks that Adafruit new fonts do not have background colour.

From where I can download a font converter to use with PDS that does not include background colour plase?

Or is there is a script or something to convert C code fonts to PDS?

Than you

Joe

John Lawton

top204

Using the Positron8 ST7735 128x160 Colour Graphic LCD library with an 18F PIC microcontroller

You will find the "FontConverter.exe" link in the "ST7735__SetFont" section of the page. I do have an updated library that uses X axis fonts instead of the original Y axis fonts I created, and they are much, much faster, especially the way Positron8 creates the code. :-)

I will see if I can find time to update the page at the weekend with the new library code.

They are good display, but a lot of the boards I have used suffer from a very big omission with the serial interface. You cannot read from the display because the DOUT line is not brought to the outside world on them!!! And their display RAM is too large to keep a shadow of in a microcontroller. So things like sprites are not, really, possible because a mask of the underlying display cannot be stored, to place back when the sprite has moved. For that, the parallel interface, or a tie into the DOUT pin, will be required. Also, the serial interface is a bit too slow for fast moving images to be uploaded to the display, even when using the hardware SPI interface at high speed on the microcontroller. Again, the parallel interface is required for that. Then they work in "real time" and are incredibly fast!

flosigud

I don't know about ST7735, but I have been able to read ILI9341, which is very similar. I have read many times that it is impossible.

top204

The ST7735 displays can be read, but some of the boards do not bring out the DOUT line from their serial interface. This is something that is not required if drawing bitmaps or texts, but comes in useful for moving graphics.

Sommi

Quote from: top204 on Mar 01, 2022, 02:42 PMThe ST7735 displays can be read, but some of the boards do not bring out the DOUT line from their serial interface. This is something that is not required if drawing bitmaps or texts, but comes in useful for moving graphics.

I agree, but for color instrumentation instead of a dot matrix module they are nice. I keep a shadow of the bitmaps in ram and then put them to the reqired position on the TFT with background and image color. Hence I need only one bit per picel.

Pepe

After several attempts and changes I have managed to modify the library to accept transparent fonts as shown in the proteus simulation, and I have added fillrec and fillcircle.

joesaliba

@top204 Thank you for the font converter. Looking forward for the updated library. I have this scale Bell 412 helicopter and trying to make a glass cockpit for it using this ST7735.

@Pepe  Thanks Pepe for your help. Will try it these evenings and let you know.

Best regards

Joe

joesaliba

@Pepe I think there is missing the library ST7735font.inc which I think include the clTransparent.

Your help is appreciated.

Regards

Joe

Sommi

Quote from: top204 on Mar 01, 2022, 10:23 AMUsing the Positron8 ST7735 128x160 Colour Graphic LCD library with an 18F PIC microcontroller

You will find the "FontConverter.exe" link in the "ST7735__SetFont" section of the page. I do have an updated library that uses X axis fonts instead of the original Y axis fonts I created, and they are much, much faster, especially the way Positron8 creates the code. :-)

I will see if I can find time to update the page at the weekend with the new library code.

They are good display, but a lot of the boards I have used suffer from a very big omission with the serial interface. You cannot read from the display because the DOUT line is not brought to the outside world on them!!! And their display RAM is too large to keep a shadow of in a microcontroller. So things like sprites are not, really, possible because a mask of the underlying display cannot be stored, to place back when the sprite has moved. For that, the parallel interface, or a tie into the DOUT pin, will be required. Also, the serial interface is a bit too slow for fast moving images to be uploaded to the display, even when using the hardware SPI interface at high speed on the microcontroller. Again, the parallel interface is required for that. Then they work in "real time" and are incredibly fast!

Probably an Arduino TFT with 8 bit interface would be nice for this? Like:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000322450131.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1ca24a83cc4vMC&algo_pvid=6d46fbaf-5705-4098-82de-c4f061f5a3ab&algo_exp_id=6d46fbaf-5705-4098-82de-c4f061f5a3ab-18&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2210000001320205839%22%7D&pdp_pi=-1%3B5.6%3B-1%3B-1%40salePrice%3BUSD%3Bsearch-mainSearch

Pepe

I don't have a screen to test if it really works, it was only tested in the proteus simulation. We would have to see if Les agrees to publish it.

joesaliba

Quote from: Pepe on Mar 03, 2022, 12:53 AMI don't have a screen to test if it really works, it was only tested in the proteus simulation. We would have to see if Les agrees to publish it.

I have the hardware to test it if you want.

Regards

Joe

Pepe

Joesaliba i hope it works on your hardware and you can use it in your program, please let me know if it works.

atomix

I am currently working on a universal graphic library that will work with the most different screens. (monochrome or color).

And a little later publish here on the forum.

joesaliba

Quote from: Pepe on Mar 06, 2022, 02:30 AMJoesaliba i hope it works on your hardware and you can use it in your program, please let me know if it works.

Thanks Pepe,

A quick try looks that it is working. I noticed something that I will be able to comment when more tests are done.

Am I correct to say that this is not the updated library that Les said would upload to his website?

Thanks Atomix for your work. More additions to Positron is always welcome.

Regards

Joe