News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

How old is the compiler?

Started by See_Mos, Aug 18, 2021, 07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

See_Mos

I have been trying to remember how long I have been using the compiler.

When moving home five years ago I misplaced a load of my early PIC stuff including the very first install media and a small book written by Les.

I have found some files dated October 2002 but I am wondering if I am missing earlier files?

david

Hi,
I found one of my files dated 31st August 2001.  I'll keep looking to see if there is anything earlier.
I remember before Proton I was using a free compiler which had only a few commands but I'm sure it had the name Rosetta in the URL and was hosted out of Malta - does that make any sense and was it indeed the forerunner of Proton?

Cheers,
David

normnet

A quick check finds 6-26-2002 in my files.  Each new HD copied to can change the file date sometimes.

shantanu@india

I came later guys... in 2006.
There was initially a hullabaloo about my presence in the forum... Dolcie said that I was using a pirated version.. the aspersion was finally cleared by Lester/ Beryl. :)
Regards
Shantanu

joesaliba

Quote from: david on Aug 18, 2021, 08:55 PMbut I'm sure it had the name Rosetta in the URL and was hosted out of Malta - does that make any sense and was it indeed the forerunner of Proton?

Cheers,
David

Once Lester contacted me to be a moderator on the old forum, and knowing that I am from Malta, he told me that actually he begin his business from Malta way back in in 1988 / 1989 from a place named Swieqi.

So yes, I think you are correct about that.

Regards

Joe

See_Mos

Quote from: david on Aug 18, 2021, 08:55 PMI remember before Proton I was using a free compiler which had only a few commands but I'm sure it had the name Rosetta in the URL and was hosted out of Malta - does that make any sense and was it indeed the forerunner of Proton?

I used that one as well.  I think it only had 29 or 30 commands including AND OR etc.

QuoteA quick check finds 6-26-2002 in my files.  Each new HD copied to can change the file date sometimes.

I agree, Windows changing file dates has always been a problem not just the 'date modified' but the 'date created' as well

david

Gosh!   Maybe my memory isn't too bad after all.
That simple, free compiler was to say the least - very basic but it was easy to work with and felt so empowering for someone like me who had only ever used state logic like TTL and CMOS.  I was immediately hooked on it and more than happy to buy the more developed program when it was released.

Cheers,
David

flosigud

I bought my first LET basic from a gentleman in Malta for GBP 15.00. I don't remember exactly when but it was shortly before Crownhill acquired Leading Edge Technology.. I think it was in 1997. Shortly afterwards I got a free upgrade. I like to think I have been onboard since day 0.

John Drew

I still have my LET BASIC disk and I think I have a little book that came with it.
Mine was bought through Lester so I came after you Flosigud.
We used to have an email list to help each other. The forum was a great improvement in 2002.
Shantanu, the registered/not registered thing was destructive. It was better when it was dispensed with. You've been a great supporter for many years.
John

top204

I took over the L.E.T BASIC compiler maintenance, but it was so dreadful, it could not be improved. That is when I decided to create a new compiler from scratch and I gave it the name "Proton".

Even when I wrote the book on projects for the L.E.T compiler before I took over its maintenance, I had to jump through hoops to get things to work as they should, and it only had 8-bit variables and not a lot else. In fact it did not have "Else". :-)

However, I made the mistake of not keeping the Proton language as "my own", and had too much trust in others... :-)

See_Mos

Yes, I remembered while out this afternoon that it was indeed L.E.T. basic that I was using and possibly around the time that I was using a Stamp 1 as well.

RayEllam

Around 2001 I purchased Proton from Les I think. My first venture into microcontroller, how liberating that was. Thanks Les 🤠 and I appreciate all the hard work you've put into your baby and also all the hard work that the followers have contributed. A great forum this is 😎

See_Mos

I found some more files.
1994 / 5 I was using the Basic Stamp 1 and 2
1995 to ? I used Forest Electronic Developments PICBASDE
From ? to Dec 2001 I learned to program in C with Forest Electronic Developments WIZ-C.

My first project using Proton is dated 10th December 2001.

With the help of magazines such as Electronics Today and Everyday Practical Electronics I also learned ASM but never created anything useful. 

Since Proton came on the scene there was no reason to try anything else, thanks Les!

charliecoutas

Les, you are doing a fine job. My desktop PC just did yet another Win10 update, I now have no mouse (wireless). In just over 50 years Microsoft have produced a product that is painfully slow, needs updating every few days and, in my case, drops the mouse for no apparent reason.

You have produced a product that is fast, efficient, gets accurately updated when needed and is a pleasure to use.

M'lud, I rest my case.

Charlie

top204

Lovely words Charlie, and very, very much appreciated.

Windows has gotten worse and worse and worse over the years for some inexplicable reason! It was once a wonderful operating system, but "ultimate power ultimately corrupts", so Micro$oft know they can do as they please and countless millions of people have no choice but to keep putting up with the rubbish. Linux and Apple, IMO, are no go areas because Linux is so dreadfully amateurish, and Apple is "way" too controlling and I would not trust anything on an Apple OS, because they will "definately" be looking and storing what is on there and what the user does etc, so they can sell the information for even more money. :-(

The first thing I do with a Windows OS is turn off updates, because if it works it works, and updates are non-trustworthy. With Windows 10 is it a complete debacle to disable updates, but it can be done by setting the internet connection as "clocked", so it will not update because it would cost the user to do so, but I hear they also changed that with an update that tried to stop updates being disabled. :-)

This is a good page:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

For internet access, I use my old Windows 7 machine and virtual operating systems, so if anything gets into the machine, it doesn't matter because it is vrtual and cannot get into the "real" machine. I also scan any files with virus scanners. For developing code, I use Windows 10, but only because I have too for compatability, but no updates because it does not get connected to the internet.

charliecoutas

Thanks for the link Les, I'm turning updates OFF.