News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Non dongled Positron and dongled Proton. Separate installs ok ?

Started by CPR, Jun 23, 2021, 07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CPR

Hello all, my apologies if this has been asked before (I did a search but nothing turned up)

So. I have an existing dongled Proton installation. I've just bought the non dongled Positron and my question is - can the two both reside happily together? (obviously in different folders)

top204

Yes... You can run several compiler versions on the same computer, and many thanks for the purchase.

Rename the current "ProtonIDE" folder in the "Program Files (x86)" directory, to something like "ProtonIDE_3_7_5_7", and delete the desktop icon because it will be pointing to an executable that is not their anymore, and Windows sometimes makes a best guess to the location of the executable and gets it wrong.

Then install the full Positron compilers, and they will create and reside in the folder named "ProtonIDE" in the "Program Files (x86)" directory, and the new desktop icon will point to the new compilers.

To use the original "Proton" compilers, make a desktop shortcut to the IDE within the renamed folder and use that. It will call the compilers within its directory only, or simply open the renamed folder and double click the ProtonIDE.exe inside it. I made the compilers as compact as possible so they do not scatter parts of programs all over the place, as a lot of other programs do.

CPR

Yves

Thanks Les,

I did just that it was just a matter changing the name of the old Proton file et voila.

regards,

Yves
Yves

top204

Thanks Yves

From your original Proton compiler you were using that is a few years old, to the new Positron compilers, there have been some changes. Most of the changes have neem necessary because of the new devices that are coming on stream.

The issues you have been seeing are because I had to rename the compiler's library subroutine names, that the compiler itself uses. However, I made a mechanism, years ago, to disable them and create user code that would replace them, and some clever programmers have used that mechanism to create excellent libraries. I did this so I could write and test the routines before embedding them into the compiler's source codes. But, because the subroutine names are, technically, only for the compiler to use, the name changes do not effect it because when I had to change the names, I also changed the calls within the compiler for them.

The changes required in a user's library are quite easy, but without the changes, there will be a lot of confusing assembler errors, that make it look like a "huge" change is required.

Yves

Dear Les,

I can't even start to imagine the complexity of managing all this coding to create this excellent piece of software and looking forward to a very successful endeavor for you and users.

Kind regards,

Yves     
Yves