PROTON pic BASIC Compilers for PIC, PIC24, dsPIC33

Main Menu

Positron installation

Started by Colin G3YHV, May 18, 2021, 05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin G3YHV

Hi - I have just installed the new Positron and also a pickit3
I noticed that the  Positron version number is not displayed in the help screen
as it was with Proton -  is this normal ?
I installed pickit3 and it programs fine but when I quit the program
Windows complains with
 System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'c:\program files (x86)\microchip\pickit 3 v3\PICkit3.ini' is denied.
Running windows 10  build 19041
Wonder if anybody can help !
Colin

RGV250

Hi,
Cant help you with the Pickit problem but the new compiler does not show the version number now in the original IDE. It does show it in the asm list, (F2 I believe). It has something to do with using the original IDE but if you use Positron studio it does.
See here https://protoncompiler.com/index.php/topic,365.msg2255.html#msg2255

Regards,
Bob

John Drew

Sounds like a permission issue Colin. Have you tried running it as an Admin?
John

Colin G3YHV

Hi John and Bob.
I have messed with permissions/compatibility  and it now works ok from the desktop
runs and closes fine,  however when set like this Proton ide fails to run it.
I press program and nothing happens. Cannot see why.
Where does proton ide store the setting for the programmer I wonder ?
Colin

top204

With the later operating systems (from Windows 7), there are only certain directories (folders) that can be written too by a standard program.

Program Files and Program Files(x86) have protection around them by the OS, so they cannot be over-written, or written too without the program manipulating permissons etc...

You will need to move the programmer's executable to a directory that has no protection and that is owned by the user of the operating system. Over time, Micro$oft have changed the names of the directories, but in Windows 10, a good place is: "C:\Users\Users Name\", because the user has full control of this directory. This will allow the PICkit program to write to its .ini file if it needs too.

Colin G3YHV

Thanks Les, John,  and Bob
As Les suggested its windows 10 again  -  It was trying to write
to the ini File on closing the program. I moved it to C: Program data and its happy now!
Colin

charliecoutas

I've been away for so long that I feel like a stranger, but it feels good to be back. I'd love to get up to speed with Positron, is it just a question of buy and install?

Best
Charlie

John Drew

G'day Charlie,
Pretty well a straightforward installation. Just let it do its thing.
I'm not sure if it's me but the old IDE only seems to recognise the old compiler (3.7.5.5) but JohnGBs new IDE works fine and recognises Positron. I haven't tested with Fineline yet but I bet it will work. A consequence of changed names.
Great to unplug the dongle and put it in my old computer that has earlier versions on it - handy if there is a compatibility issue with older source.
Good to see you back. What's the next project at Bletchley Park?
All the best
John

top204

Great to see you back safe and sound Charlie. :-)

The original IDE sees the, originally named, PrPlus.exe file when it is giving the version to the user via the help. However, it calls the Loader.exe file for the compilers and this is for the new versions of the Positron compilers. i.e. 4.0.0.1 and 1.1.0.1.

To see the "actual" version of the compiler that has been used, press the F2 button within the IDE and the version is in the header text of the Asm file. I like to keep whatever I can in the full control of the compilers, so I never relied on an IDE telling a compiler what device it should use or version it should use, as some other compilers do.

JohnB

I now have a version which should support both versions although once you have moved on to compiler 4.0.0.0 it will always default to 4.0.0.0.  I will publish it shortly
JohnB

John Drew

John
Reading both Les's and your comments I'm interpreting your comment as the "About will indicate the used compiler". Have I got it right?
Les says that Loader will always use what the Loader is set for irrespective of the IDE report.
John

pjdenyer

Hi Les,

I have just install the new Positron Compliers, I am current work on a project using SS1963 graphics controller - I have written the graphics driver. When I compile with the USB version compiler, great, when I compile with the new Positron complier I get errors and display corruptions, It seems that the USB complier allow things like,

Print At ypos, xpos, "TEXT"
Print Ink clBlue, "TEXT"
etc

The compiler seems to no longer have the internal variable such as _GLCD_XPOS, _GLCD_YPOS, _GLCD_INK_, _GLCD_PAPER_

Can you confirm what has happened.

charliecoutas

Les, John (D), Many thanks for your replies. The current project at The National Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park is a simulation of an RCA AR88 radio receiver. Several of these were in use, the majority receiving German teleprinter messages encrypted by the Lorenz machine. We have a rack of these at the museum, I think there are twelve receivers.

Our simulation invites the customer to "tune" an AR88 until they find a frequency shift keying teleprinter from a vast array of other radio signals. They press a button and, if they are correct, a thermal printer gives them an encrypted word. They take this and enter it in our Lorenz simulator which hopefully turns it back into German.

The guts of the AR88 simulator is a PIC18F26K22 (of course). The "tuning dial gearbox" turns an encoder which selects the next track on an mp3 player module. Plus a lots of bells and whistles.

Next year is the 100th birthday of the BBC. We are building a similar project but you can select an audio track from 1922 onwards. We have two talented woodworking craftsmen (Chip and Dale) who are making a "radio" for the early years. A lot of fun.

I've spent the last year working on a non-digital project which is a bit hush hush, so I can't say any more. I've missed you guys, it's good to be back.

Charlie 

pjdenyer

Hi Les,

Further investigation, Print At ypos, xpos, "XXX" does not display
Print "XXX" does display

Print "XXX", 13
Print "YYY"

Produces XXXYYY on the same line, i.e. no CR

It's like the Print Extensions are not being passed by the complier.!!!

top204

QuoteFurther investigation, Print At ypos, xpos, "XXX" does not display

A bit more information is required!

I use the LCD Print At all the time and no problems have been found. For example, the code below for an alphanumeric LCD works as expected:

Device = 18F45K20
    Declare Xtal = 16

Declare LCD_DTPin = PORTD.4
    Declare LCD_RSPin = PORTE.0
    Declare LCD_ENPin = PORTE.1
    Declare LCD_Interface = 4
    Declare LCD_Lines = 2
    Declare LCD_Type = 0
    Declare LCD_CommandUs = 2000
    Declare LCD_DataUs = 50

Dim bXpos As Byte
    Dim bYpos As Byte

Cls
    For bYpos = 1 To 2
        For bXpos = 1 To 16
            Print At bYpos, bXpos, "*"
            DelayMS 100
            Print At bYpos, bXpos, " "
        Next
    Next

And the code below for the compiler's built-in graphic LCD routines also works as expected:
    Device = 18F45K20
    Declare Xtal = 16

Declare LCD_DTPort = PORTD
    Declare LCD_RSPin = PORTC.1
    Declare LCD_ENPin = PORTE.0
    Declare LCD_RWPin = PORTC.0
    Declare LCD_CS1Pin = PORTE.1
    Declare LCD_CS2Pin = PORTE.2
    Declare LCD_Type = Graphic
    Declare Internal_Font = On
    Declare Font_Addr = 0

Dim bXpos As Byte
    Dim bYpos As Byte

Cls
    For bYpos = 0 To 6
        For bXpos = 0 To 20
            Print At bYpos, bXpos, "*"
            DelayMS 100
            Print At bYpos, bXpos, " "
        Next
    Next

Include "Font.inc"

A new thread needs to be created to ask questions concerning users libraries for older compiler versions.

Changes to the compiler's system variables were carried out a few years ago because of some changes that could not be worked around.

top204

Some of the older valve (tube for our American friends) radios were a work of art in themselves.

Some of the early Bakelite radios were also rather beautiful, but that led to the, dreadful, plastics age, where radios and televisions stopped being pieces of beautiful furniture in a room and became lumps of plastic that "all" look the same, and true quality is a thing of the past. :-( As you can tell, I'm a nostagic fool. LOL

When I first served my time as a TV engineer, there were still lots of the older valve radios and TVs (hybrid types) around because they lasted so long, so, thanks to my dad, I already knew how to fix them. :-)

You have a wonderful position at Bletchley Charlie. I'm green with envy. LOL :-) It is so good to know that we still have true craftsmen around, and, hopefully, passing their skills on to the next generation.

charliecoutas

It does feel special, working at the museum. Our group have some wicked comedians among us. The RCA AR88 communications receiver is built like a brick outhouse. We sometimes have to take one out of the rack for servicing, and I've had painfully trapped fingers more than once. If, heaven forbid, there is ever a nuclear war, one of the survivors will be the RCA AR88!

You're doing a fine job Les, as always.
Best
Charlie

See_Mos

Never had an AR88, but I did have several 19 sets and an HRO with a full set of standard and band spread coils.

John Drew

My first non home brew rig was a No.19 ex tank transceiver. Bought in 1958 from army disposals. It was basic compared with modern rigs, the whole 40m band occupied 1 1/2 divisions on the dial and used grid modulation to the final. It also put out a signal 455khz lower in frequency and once interfered with local aircraft - my one and only contact with the official monitoring station. Very embarrassing for a young ham. A better home brew transmitter took its place using a Geloso VFO and an 807.  That will ring bells for the older hams on the forum.
John
VK5DJ

charliecoutas

Not being a radio amateur is one of my regrets in life. That, and working for the BBC are two things that I wish I had done. I used to listen to the radio hams on an Eddystone receiver that I had (I can't remember where it came from). It all sounded so friendly and technical. But working for a museum has some really good points too, so life is not so bad after all.

Charlie