News:

PROTON pic BASIC Compilers for PIC, PIC24, dsPIC33

Main Menu

Positron Studio 2.0.2.2 Update

Started by JohnB, Apr 10, 2021, 03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamboa

Hi,

I have tried three microcontrollers and they all say the same: "Unable to Download File".
18F46J50, 18F24J50, 18F25K22
Unable.png

Regards,
Gamboa

Long live for you

JohnB

It downloaded for me here so I guess its some locality issue.  Are there any devices you can download?
The root URL I am using is https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/

so try

https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/70293G.pdf  That should return PIC24HJ family device datasheet
JohnB

JohnB

@Gamboa I have create a new version (executable only) which prints out the url of the file it is trying to download.
If it fails you should see the URL listing in the messages panel.  If you contact me on support@positronStudio.co.uk I will send you a link to download and try out.
JohnB

DaveS

permissions problem, if you run admin you can download one file.
*JohnB will send an email, I know why you can only download one file

DaveS

JohnB

There does seem to be a problem downloading datasheet files from the web.  Run the application from a different drive e.g. D:\ downloading will work.  On the C:\ drive it doesn't. 
Apologies, I never spotted this before.
I will update when I am closer to the solution. Any suggestions meantime would be very welcome, this is not a problem I have come across before.
JohnB

keytapper

The permission for Windows 7 onward are become tighter. There must be two separated areas where the program resides and where the program uses its own data, usually c:\ProgramData (which is hidden by the SO).
Ignorance comes with a cost

JohnB

I have the program in Program Files\positron studio
and I am using AppData\Positron Studio for local storage.
I have tried using the D: drive for my local data but that makes no difference.
I cannot link the debugger to the application in Program Data again because of access permissions.
I am wondering if I can temporarily elevate my permissions just while I access the net. Sounds a bit dubious to me.
JohnB

JohnB

I have proved the issue.  If you run as Administrator the download work perfectly.
JohnB

trastikata

John,

just an idea ... I see now double-clicking on a Sub's name selects it, but what do you think of jumping to the Sub instead?

In my opinion (if this is possible to implement and you are willing) this will make easier to follow code whenever you have GoSub directive.

Regards

JohnB

I assume that would also apply to GoTo Proc and Sub.  You can always jump to them from the Explorer.  If I were to implement something like that I would prefer to do it from the context menu. What do others think?
JohnB

John Drew

Re the double click to Gosub would mean a change to the new search option which I have come to like John.
I'm assuming that the suggestion would also apply to Procedure calls.
By the way, I'm having troubles with the identified PIC not reflecting the one in use.
 But I must admit my version is now two builds old.
Cheers
John

JohnB

My suggestion is to add 'Find Declaration' entry to the Context Menu.
This will then navigate to the start of the Sub, Label or Procedure.
Conversely, I am thinking of adding another context menu entry 'Search for Usage'. 
This would report all the places in the project that the item is used.

Comments please before I invest more time on this.
JohnB

trastikata

The Context Menu option is better option than the double-click I proposed. As for "Search for Usage" - I am not sure how  will facilitate programming.

My reasoning behind the "Double-click/Context Menu" option is because whenever I am using multiple (sub)procedures and I am calling them, sometime I need to verify or remind myself something in the (sub)procedures, it gets tiresome to browse the explorer looking for the procedure. Sure, now the alphabetical sorting helps a lot, but still I lose concentration browsing those (sub)procedures.

Of course, I only speak out my personal experience which might be much different from others preferences.

Regards

Stephen Moss

Quote from: trastikata on Apr 24, 2021, 07:03 PMjust an idea ... I see now double-clicking on a Sub's name selects it, but what do you think of jumping to the Sub instead?
Double clicking anything in the code window will select it and inserts it into the find, if you then click F3 it will jump to the next instance of the Subroutines name. It may not directly take you to the subroutine itself but a couple of button presses to reach it is hardly time consuming and if you want to go there then select if form the code explorer.
An alternative method is to start looking at writing all code a projects, that way you can put all your subroutines in an include file, and use the include files code explore to jump to a specific subroutine. The advantage of that is that you can have the two files open so you can flip form one to another without loosing you place in the primary file, as opposed to jumping around in a single file. Or for a single file you could use the split screen to display the subroutines contents but you would have to scroll to find it.

Consequently, I personally don't think it is a necessary addition as there already ways of jumping to a subroutine.

Quote from: JohnB on Apr 25, 2021, 03:40 PMConversely, I am thinking of adding another context menu entry 'Search for Usage'. 
This would report all the places in the project that the item is used.
Would that replace or be in addition to the existing Project Find method as it sounds like it will be doing the same thing?

JohnB

@Stephen Moss  I tend to agree with you that it is not a necessary feature as there are a number of ways you can navigate to it now.  The only advantage that Find Declaration would offer is the ability to extend the search into referenced includes and open the file holding the declaration.
JohnB

See_Mos

I just tried to use PPS in Positron Studio 2.0.2 build 1 with Device = 18F47Q10 and 18F27Q10

PPS is enabled in the tools menu but opening it says that PPS in not supported.

What am I missing?

flosigud

Last time I checked PS only supported PPS with 16 bit PIC's.

JohnB

The PPS information is derived from the PPI or DEF files supplied with the compiler which as far as I know are only available in some 16 bit devices. Some time ago I took an interest in a VB application which uses Microchip files to generate PPS codes for 8bit devices.  Time pressure on the main Studio development has diverted me.  When I get time I will reinvestigate and see if I can implement a version to cover the wider range of 8bit and 16bit devices.
JohnB

trastikata

Hello,

I am not sure if it has been discussed before, but I was wondering is there a way to use Pickit 3 directly from the IDE?

joesaliba

You should be able to. Got o Tools > Configure Programmers, and add a new programmer.