News:

PROTON pic BASIC Compilers for PIC, PIC24, dsPIC33

Main Menu

ETHERNET

Started by SeanG_65, Oct 16, 2024, 12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanG_65

Is there any risk that we could have some ethernet related commands or functions, please?

I would like to write control programs to turn LED's, relays, motors on or off, or change PWM to control servos etc. I'm thinking UDP would be easiest.

Something like;

IPAd = XX.XX.XX.XX
ENetMode = UDP / TCP / or whatever

JonW

Hi Craig

The problem with just commands is that you need a control port (Spi/UART/I2C) to MAC/PHY; thus, an external IC is needed, such as the Wiz or Microchip ENC28J60.  Some of the high-end processors have this hardware, but for the average PIC, the hardware, speed and RAM requirement are way out of the scope to do ethernet.  That said, you can write procedures for some of the control ICs. I have used the Wiz5500 SOC with UDP and started to look at TCPIP on an 18F; they work well once you get your head around how the IC operates.  There are also other much easier serial to ethernet modules available.

atomix

RGV250

Hi,
I wonder if he was thinking of using this device which has Ethernet built it?
https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/aemDocuments/documents/OTH/ProductDocuments/DataSheets/39762f.pdf

Bob

JonW

The issue is still the enormous development time to add a function that only exists on a handful of processors. You are better off using an external module or device and creating a driver using procedures that can be ported across multiple processors.  There are lots of libraries on the Web for these modules that can be ported to basic.
I just can't see Les spending the time developing an integrated library for these when you can buy a module like the one Atomix posted for a few dollars.

SeanG_65

I was sort of thinking a WizNet module and a UDP interface.