News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Constant distractions

Started by kcsl, Jun 09, 2024, 08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcsl

Does anybody else suffer from constant distractions when building projects?

I'm working on an audio project; analogue is not really my thing so it's an interesting voyage of discovery.

Firstly I was experimenting with different op-amp gains and realised that a resistor substitution box would be useful. No way was I buying one so pushed my audio project to the back of the bench and set about building one. My laser cutter jammed whilst engraving the panel so I had to dismantle that to make repairs, which needed space on my bench so pushed my substitution box to the back of the bench whilst listening to my audio project fall off the back and hit the floor. A weekend gone.

Then realised that my audio project would need a +/- 15v PSU but I didn't want to add a centre tapped mains transformer so started experimenting with inverting voltage regulator circuits. This led to a couple of spectacular releases of magic smoke, so brought out my trusty temperature monitor with auto cut-off. I'd built this years ago and it's a great gizmo. Give it a maximum temperature on up to 3 sensors, and it will cut the power to a project under test if that temp is exceeded, but on power up the LCD display was all over the place and it wasn't working correctly. It was fine the last time I used it. So now that's in pieces all over my bench. Another weekend gone. It just seems that these days it's almost impossible to make forward progress on the main project because of all the side issues. I'm wondering if this project is jinxed, I'm jinxed or the universe is just having a giggle at my expense.
Whilst debugging the temperature monitor I've had a look at the code I wrote sooo many years ago and it's terrible. So now I've started re-writing that.

My normally tidy-ish bench looks like a bomb site, I'm no further forward with my audio project and another weekend is almost gone.
I really need to retire.

There's no room for optimism in software or hardware engineering.

keytapper

I do share same frustration, when I'm trying to solve some software.
So thinking further to prevent some oversight, many times it happens to increase the flaws.  :(
The possible way it is to split the problem into the smaller part and introspect it.
Ignorance comes with a cost