News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

Many, many thanks Charlie

Started by top204, Apr 17, 2024, 01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

top204

As the title states Charlie. Many, many thanks for the lovely ECC86 valves (tubes) that arrived today, and the, unexpected, sockets for them. :-)

They are beautiful objects and I am going to try and find some time this weekend to make that regen radio using them, that operates from only 12 volts with a dropper resistor to give the heaters their 6 volts. I'll see if I can knock it up on a breadboard temporarily, until I get some aluminium sheet to make a casing for it. It's been a while since I used my jig to cut round holes in aluminium. Then paint it with blue hammerite. It has to be blue hammerite in my book, because it reminds me so much of my childhood with Dad in the garden shed making things.

I was looking around my workshop this morning for some valve sockets to fit the ECC86 valves into, but could not find them. So when I opened the box and saw two lovely, still boxed, valves and two sockets I was more than pleased. :-)

I've already dug out my 1920s high impedence headphones that I bought, quite a few years ago, and cleaned and repaired them. With some re-magnetisation of them as well. In my eyes, they are also beautiful objects.

Crickey.... I am such a nerd. :-)

Again, many thanks Charlie.

Best regards
Les

charliecoutas

Les

I think I can speak for most of our members: if we can do something for you, something that makes you happy then it's a deed well done.

It's a real pleasure to help you. Heaven knows how much you have helped us!

Take care and keep us informed about this project.

Charlie

charliecoutas

What about putting the two ECC86 heaters in series? That would remove the need for a dropper resistor for the heaters from 12V?

Charlie

top204

I never thought of that Charlie! It is a simple solution when thought out, and it is one of those things that makes you think "Why didn't I think of that in the first place?" :-)