News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Programmable gain amplifiers

Started by charliecoutas, Mar 14, 2024, 10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charliecoutas

Has anyone on the forum ever used a MAX9939 programmable gain amplifier? I am including a few in a design and would appreciate any feedback. I am a little nervous about a total output swing of only 5 volts; I am happier with a 10 or 15 volt swing but I can't find any PGA's with a wider swing. It will of course be controlled by Positron software!

Best to all
Charlie

rick.curl

Hi Charlie-
How much swing do you need?  THS7001 will go up to +_ 13.6 volts.  Maybe a better question is what are your supply voltages?

-Rick

charliecoutas

That looks good Rick but I need gains of 1,10,20 (the THS7001 has non-integer gains).

I have +/-15v rails. My worry is that the MAX9939 biases the signal to be signal plus rail/2 internally. This limits my voltages in and out to 2 volts and I am worried that noise will be troublesome. I also like the idea of an SPI interface to set the gain. The MAX9939 also has a nice feature where you can adjust the offset of the amplifier using the software interface.

Thanks Rick
Charlie

GDeSantis

Two programmable gain instrumentation amplifiers from Analog Devices that may work in your application are noted below:

1.  AD8250 with gain settings of 1, 2, 5, 10
   2.  AD8253 with gain settings of 1, 10, 100, 1000

charliecoutas

I can probably use one of each, excellent, many thanks.

Charlie

top204

I had a similar requirement about 12 years ago, and I could not find a programmable gain amplifier with enough current or voltage, and enough resolution so I could change the gain in small steps, so I used a standard high current/higher voltage Op-Amp, and a 256 step digital resistor for its gain. Together, they cost a lot less than some PGA devices at the time, and they were simplicity itself to design for.

Depending on the circuit's requirement, the digital resistor can be wired as a standard volume control or used for the gain resistor in an Op-Amp inverted or non-inverted amplifier.

charliecoutas

Thanks Les. I did think about a resistor-tree arrangement but space is a bit tight. To have a PGA with gains of 1,2,5 and 10 is perfect and the AD8250 also has differential inputs which solves another problem. Thanks GDeSantis.

But I will still use a PIC to control the gain settings!

Charlie