News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Microscope for smd soldering

Started by pjdenyer, Feb 03, 2024, 02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjdenyer

Hi all, I am looking at microscope setup for smd soldering, I don't want to spend a fortune, so I thought I would ask what people are using - getting older near sight failing.

RGV250

Hi,
I have never got on with a microscope, saying that I have never got on with SMD soldering >:(
I use something like this https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/purelite-tabletop-magnifier-with-light/6378861000.html except the one I have also has a small 12x area as well.

Bob

top204

I bought an inexpensive LCD microscope a few years ago to do SMD soldering and it works well. Since then, you can also get the larger LCD screened ones but they are a bit more money, as are all things now, so I will stick with the 4.3" one I have on my desk because it works well for my failing eyesight as well. My arms are getting too short to read without putting my glasses on. i.e. Long sighted. :-) The microscope also has simple LED lighting and a stand, but the stand is a bit small for larger boards so I had to replace the bottom platform with some MDF.

See the link below:

4.3" LCD Microscope

Or use the link below for a search of LCD microscopes to see which one you like, because there are a few versions of exactly the same thing but for different prices ??, so it is worth searching further with different criteria in the search window before buying, because ebay does not have a very good search engine:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=LCD+microscope&_sacat=0&_sop=15

Yves

Amazing how cheap they are
Yves
Yves

Dolci

JonW

In my experience, dual-optic microscopes are way better than cameras and LCDs for SMD work. I have tried the LCD scopes, but the resolution, colours and focal distance to the work are limited.   Dual optics give you more control of distance, perfect resolution and a more natural posture for long sessions (If you have the correct stand and bench).   I have been using these for the past 35 years and still have the same ones!  We use Bausch and Lomb as these can be fitted to a long weighted stand that allows for your hands and instruments to be under them with ample room, the optics are also crystal clear to spot dry joints on tiny 0201 and really dense IC. You do get what you pay for, so second-hand sourcing will give you a better scope.  We replaced the fluro light ring with LEDs.

For all scopes, try to construct a simple separate stand using MDF that you can tilt the PCB and use as a hand rest. We made the MDF stand around 12" x 8" with slots in the sides so the height and tilt can be adjusted easily. MDF is also easy to drill and route out to hold connectors, etc.  Good-quality fine-point tweezers and a decent hot-air pencil are a must! One other good tip is to use low melting point solder so you can work on the boards at a lower temp and reduce the risk of component and PCB damage.  A clear no residue flux liquid is also very useful for a final reflow.

SeanG_65

I bought a simple 1000X zoom camera and a 22" LCD monitor, hooked them both up to a PC and BINGO, one AWESOME cheap SMD scope for under £100