News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

end of compilation sound

Started by Yves, Jan 19, 2024, 10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yves

Sometime when the code becomes significantly large my laptop takes ages to compile. It takes sometime up two minutes to complete. So I go make another cup of coffee. Could we have a ding or a dong to alert the end of compilation?

Yves

Yves

John Lawton

Crikey, maybe time to upgrade your laptop with more memory and if it hasn't already got one, an SSD?

ricardourio

Just as reference, my old computer takes 68 seconds to compile a 129686 program bytes, which is 98,94% of total memory, and 1914 variable bytes (49,57%), for a PIC18F87K22. As John said, the SSD makes a big difference.

Ricardo Urio
i5-3570 @3.40G
16 GB RAM
SSD 240GB

Yves

I agree SSD or hybrids are much faster.

Yves
Yves

diebobo

If its some code your willing to share I can compile it on my machine to see if its something plausible to consider upgrading.. I've got a 5950X, though I don't think the compiler is multi core enabled...

TimB

Many many years ago around 2002 when I first started using Proton a compile on one prog was taking 20 mins

I was able to go away and have dinner...

Frizie

What I always do is not optimize the program yet.
This significantly reduces compilation time  ;D
Put the following line in your program while you are still developing a program:

Declare Optimiser_Level = 0   ;Disable the optimiser

When your program is completely finished, you can remove this line and then compile it again with optimizing  ;)
Ohm sweet Ohm | www.picbasic.nl

Yves

Thanks Frizie,

I do Declare Optimizer = 0 . It definitely help in timing

Regards,

Yves
Yves