News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

Amicus board upgrade

Started by Yves, Jan 03, 2024, 09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yves

I still use an Amicus board fitted with a 18F25k22 but now I like to replace the board chip with a 16F26k22 chip.
I have the bootloader hex for the 18F25k22. My question is can I use the same bootloader for the 18F26k22? both chips are very similar but I believe the only difference is the 18F26k22 has just more memory.

Cheers,

Yves   
Yves

top204

The same bootloader will not work on the 18F26K22 device. The 18F26K22 device has differences in its operations, flash memory sizes, and config fuses etc, that will make the bootloader for the 18F25K20 fail.

I based the bootloader on the original Tiny Bootloader, and since 2010 when I created the Delphi executable for it, it has advanced a bit and is available here:

https://tinypicbootload.sourceforge.net/

As far as I can tell, it supports the 18F26K22 device, but the web site and source forge sites are a bit confusing and over-full. :-) It is looked after by Evan, who is a member of this forum (I think).

So you will be able to use the Tiny+ bootloader for the Amicus18 board if it supports the device.

Yves

Hi Less,
I had a look at the site. I found the section for the 18F26k22 bootloader but all in Chinese and not a clearly hex file to download. I may give up upgrading the Amicus board. I don't understand why simple things like a bootloader is not a simple thing and left to so much confusion. Is Microchip don't offer a repository for all their products?

Yves
Yves

flosigud

Rather give up on bootloaders and get a programmer, like PicKit 2 clone.

John Lawton

Sometimes bootloaders are really useful though :)

top204

I haven't found the web site to be in Chinese Yves? But I agree, the installer executable does not include any hex files, even to test it, which I find very silly not to have installed with a bootloader. It should have a folder full of hex files for various devices and various speeds etc, just so it can be tested, as the compilers installer does.

It is a logistics nightmare and takes a lot of time and effort to create sample files, but it helps a lot of people get started. Hex files for the bootloader can be found on the site, but they are not easy to find and the site itself is a bit of a confusion of information and data. :-) Sorry Evans. :-)

Remember, the Amicus18 board has a position for a SIL header at the back of it that a PICkit programmer can be plugged directly into. Just solder a 0.1" (2.54mm) SIL pin header to it. I rarely use the bootloader on my Amicus boards that I still use, because I use so many different types of 28-pin devices for testing. I just plug a programmer directly onto the back of it.

Yves

Thank you all I will use PicKit instead.
Yves

Frizie

Ohm sweet Ohm | www.picbasic.nl

RGV250

Hi,
I am not sure how much he charges but Evan does mention writing bootloaders on the Pickkit Plus web site.
https://www.pickitplus.co.uk/Typesetter/index.php/PICKitPlus-BootLoaders

Bob

Frizie

I ordered a PICkitPlus programmer today.
Payment for the product was simple, fast and professional.

What I want to say:
Isn't this something for Les to be able to offer Positron more easily in the same way as Evan does?
Ohm sweet Ohm | www.picbasic.nl