News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Recommend me an Oscilloscope

Started by SCV, Feb 10, 2023, 03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCV

My LeCroy LC334 is messing around (two channels instead of 4?) so it's time to look for a replacement.

Bandwidth 200Mhz+
Channels 4
Screen 8" or more
Budget £2k ex tax.

Looking around the GW Instek GDS-2204A ticks the boxes as does the RSpro RSMSO-2204E. They look strangely similar!
Not a big fan of Tektronix.

Any opinions?
Tim.

Gamboa

Long live for you

okmn

what about  OWON XDS3000-E Series 4CH 8 / 14bit Touchscreen Digital Oscilloscope

XDS3204E
XDS3204AE

https://www.owon.com.hk/products_owon_xds3000-e_series_4ch_8_%7C_14bit_touchscreen_digital_oscilloscope

i am looking  these models   

Owon HDS2202 200 MHz 2ch. Oscilloscope + multimeter + waveform generator, multifunction in one
OWON HDS2102S 100 mhz 2ch. Oscilloscope + multimeter + waveform generator, multifunction in one

Giuseppe MPO

RIGOL MSO5104

for me it is the best ....
top features and relatively low price.

John Lawton

I have a Siglent SDS1204X-E which I am generally quite happy with.

I often use an external waveform generator with it to plot 0.01Hz - 1kHz frequency response curves of an analogue circuit board I make for a particular customer.

For this I need to measure waveform amplitudes and the drawback with the above instrument is the 8 bit vertical resolution, so if you want to do anything like this I would recommend 10 bit or more resolution. I would choose that over high vertical bandwidth because I'm mostly working at < 100MHz.

Mapo

I have a Siglent too, SDS2204.
Siglent supplied Teledyne Lecroy with this series of oscilloscopes

https://www.mouser.it/datasheet/2/227/t3dso2000-datasheet-1500493.pdf

Great oscilloscopes at great prices

Bravo

I bought a Siglent SDS2104X Plus 100 Mhz, which has a 10" touch screen. With the help of EEV Blog, I hacked it to 500 Mhz & enabled all the options. A bargain of note !!!! There are some good tear downs of this scope on Youtube. 
Retired RF Tech

Mapo

Quote from: Bravo on Feb 11, 2023, 05:21 AMI bought a Siglent SDS2104X Plus 100 Mhz, which has a 10" touch screen. With the help of EEV Blog, I hacked it to 500 Mhz & enabled all the options.
I Bravo, I'm also interested in this modification, where can I find information?

kcsl

I have a Rigol DS1054 4-channel with the hack to get it up to 100MHz.

Sometimes it's really slow to update and respond, and I find the user interface a bit clunky.
Some of the options you select by having to turn a little control then press to select, and often it moves to an adjacent setting when you press the control.

On a budget it's not bad and has a lot of features and it was a great upgrade from my 4 channel Fluke PM3082, but if you can afford it go to something better.

Joe
There's no room for optimism in software or hardware engineering.

rick.curl

Quote from: Mapo on Feb 11, 2023, 11:02 AM
Quote from: Bravo on Feb 11, 2023, 05:21 AMI bought a Siglent SDS2104X Plus 100 Mhz, which has a 10" touch screen. With the help of EEV Blog, I hacked it to 500 Mhz & enabled all the options.
I Bravo, I'm also interested in this modification, where can I find information?
Look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxzQS-Bn2R0
-Rick

Bravo

Hi Rick,
Check out page 5 of this link:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-hack/

You will have to register on repl.it
I suggest you turn off Norton when you import & run the Python script.
Good luck,
Gary
Retired RF Tech

Bravo

Sorry, That should have been Hi Mapo.
Must be cos I'm a newbie - only been using Proton since 2004, but still lots to learn !!!
Cheers,
Gary
Retired RF Tech

SCV

Thankyou for all your suggestions, I thought I would give you an update.

I shortlisted two, the Rigol MSO5204 and Siglent SDS2204X+.
The two are quite similar with the Siglent performing marginally ahead according to tear-downs on Youtube. Pricing wise the Rigol came with a free bundle which made it very good value. The equivalent loaded Siglent would have been around £800 more.

I ordered a B-grade MSO5204 from Telonic.co.uk (refurbished with latest firmware and 2 year warranty) and got a further 10% off a nearly new unit. Total price was £1300 + tax.
On the EEVblog there is a comprehensive article on hacking the MSO5000 series to enable all features. It's not of interest to me, but some are doing it.

I've had a play with it on some simple serial stuff and it seems ok. I noticed it has a problem triggering to analogue video, though I haven't spent a lot of time on it yet.

Tim.

pjdenyer

I have just bought the Hanteck DSO2C10 100Mhz and hacked it to convert it to the DSO1D15, so now it's a 150Mhz with Wave Generator. It's an entry level scope but for £190 it suits my reqiurements.

top204

That's not a bad price for a good bandwidth scope pdjenyer.

I still use my lovely single beam, CRT based, Telequipment oscilloscope that I used all those years ago when repairing TVs and Vidoes etc, in the 1980s. It only has a 5MHz bandwidth, but is, generally, OK for most tests.

Maybe one day I will be able to afford a new scope, but it is not high on my list of "must haves". :-).

JohnB

I did my apprenticeship at Telequipment, was involved in the production of the S51 and the D51 as I recall.  Also spend a year in metalwork and tooling when they used to do everything internally.  Then moved on to the design lab where I did a bit of mechanical and electronic design.

Tectronix used to buy our scopes for their production line as theirs were too expensive.
JohnB

John Lawton

I remember some simple Telequipment scopes at my secondary school physics department.
They looked like this https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/telequip_serviscope_minor.html although I recall a 'stability' triggering control, not present on this one.

More models here: https://www.radiomuseum.org/m/telequip_gb_en_1.html

JohnB

I did the PCB design for that. It was known as the S31 internally, cant remember how it was badged when it went out to the schools.
JohnB

top204

Mine is the S54: https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/telequip_oscilloskop_s54s_5.html

I've had it since about 1985 and it has not needed any repairs, and works everytime. Even when it has not been powered up for months on end. I know it will be well out of calibration, but for the tests I do, it is not required to be accurate, just show the waveform and the voltage etc... The same when I was repairing items. I didn't care if the signal was not displayed accurately to the mV or the Hz, just as long as it had the correct waveforms that I could see for the sections in the electronic devices back then. :-)

The old CRT oscilloscopes are very beautiful objects in my eyes and are a pleasure to look at when sitting on a desk or shelf. I keep looking out for an old valve (tube) oscilloscope at car boot sales, but no luck yet. Rachel thinks I'm potty because I see old electronic equipment as exceptionally beautiful objects. :-)