News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

18F16Q41 supported? Cannot compile a simple prog

Started by TimB, Jan 04, 2023, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimB

Hi all

I'm looking at a device with more ram to replace a 18f13k22.

Adding device 18F16Q41 and Positron studio seems to show it supported. Searching the forum it is mentioned a few times.

I tried a simple

device 18F16Q41

Dim A as Byte

while 1 = 1

Inc A

Wend

But it fails to compile with no reason why and Positron studio has no fuses for it

Any pointers

Thanks

Tim

TimB

Ok I saw a thread that they are not supported yet. I will wait or look for another device

Tim

John Lawton

JonW

Careful with some of the 24q10 parts. We had an issue with some being the first release and had errata issues.  Just try to make sure they are the latest rev.

TimB

Quote from: John Lawton on Jan 04, 2023, 09:14 PMMicrochip suggest the 18F24Q10 as an alternative (newer) product.
https://www.microchip.com/en-us/product/PIC18F13K22

Bonus, there are some available: https://www.findchips.com/search/PIC18F24Q10

John

I looked seriously at the 18F24Q10 but the chip has more pins than I need and my PCB space is limited. I could use the QFP but that is tiny and the next biggest is a pain to hand solder.

So looked at the 18F16Q41 I will keep looking there are a number of new devices that might work like the PIC18F14Q41

John Lawton

Hi Tim,
sorry I should have checked that Microchip's suggested alternative was sensible. It clearly wasn't.

John

tumbleweed

QuoteSo looked at the 18F16Q41 I will keep looking there are a number of new devices that might work like the PIC18F14Q41
The trouble is that any of the new 18F devices require using a new assembler (PIC-AS), or at least a modification to MPASMX like the folks at Swordfish have done.

The Q10 and Q43 were the last ones that are still supported by the stock version of MPASM v5.87.
The Q84 was supposed to be but that doesn't actually work (and was obviously never tested).

TimB

Thanks tumbleweed

Very informative and has solidified my future pic choices.

Appreciated

Thanks also to the other posters

Tim