News:

PROTON pic BASIC Compilers for PIC, PIC24, dsPIC33

Main Menu

PIC18F06Q41

Started by joesaliba, Oct 16, 2022, 01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joesaliba

Hi,

I need a 14 pin PIC and I see the PIC18F06Q41 as it has 3 UART's. This PIC is not supported by Positron, but the 20-pin version PIC18F16Q41 is supported.

I do not know if there is many different between the two, but they share the same datasheet, and was wondering if trying to write the code for the larger one will work on the 14-pin version!

Regards

Joe

tumbleweed

Quote from: joesaliba on Oct 16, 2022, 01:27 PMThis PIC is not supported by Positron, but the 20-pin version PIC18F16Q41 is supported.
There's a ppi file for the 18F16Q41, but it doesn't actually work.

The Q40/Q41 are not supported by the standard MPASM, so unless/until Les changes to use a different assembler (ie PIC-AS) they won't compile.

joesaliba

Thanks for that. I will look for something else then. Maybe I use a multiplexer as i need hardware UART.

Joe

tumbleweed

I don't know what's more important... the package size or the need to use the UARTs simultaneously.

The Q43 has 4 UARTs. Otherwise, a device with PPS would let you remap the UART pins but that would basically be the same as a mux (without the extra hdw).

I'm not aware of any other PIC16/PIC18 supported by PDS that has more than 2 UARTS, other than ones with even larger packages.

joesaliba

But, will the Q43 compile then, or there is a similar problem to the Q40/Q41?

I don't mind having a slightly larger package.

Regards

Joe

top204

The newer 18F06 and 18F16 devices are in the next "upgrade" to the compiler.

They require the new assembler and are a bit more flexible than the current 18F devices. They also have a call stack size of 128, which is always a good thing.

tumbleweed

The Q43 is supported by MPASM 5.87, so I assume that family should work with PDS.

As with all the newer devices, you may have a problem using some builtin commands with certain hdw peripherals (such as I2C or SPI since there's no MSSP), but you can always write directly to the registers.

Like the other Q series devices (except for the Q10) the Q43 also has a 128-level stack.

joesaliba

Thank you all for the information.

Joe