News:

PROTON pic BASIC Compilers for PIC, PIC24, dsPIC33

Main Menu

PicKit3 and Win10

Started by jmarkwolf, Feb 14, 2021, 12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmarkwolf

Glad to find the new forum. I was in a panic when the Crownhill forum shut up shop.

It's been about 3 years since my last PIC/Proton project.

I'm assuming that my PicKit3 will work on my new Win10 box. As I recall, it was necessary to download a significant app from MicroChip. Is this still true? Anything special needed for Win10?

Glad to be home, and God bless Les indeed.

John Drew

Worked fine on my 3 W10 machines Mark.
John

towlerg

Quote from: jmarkwolf on Feb 14, 2021, 12:18 AMGlad to find the new forum. I was in a panic when the Crownhill forum shut up shop.

It's been about 3 years since my last PIC/Proton project.

I'm assuming that my PicKit3 will work on my new Win10 box. As I recall, it was necessary to download a significant app from MicroChip. Is this still true? Anything special needed for Win10?

Glad to be home, and God bless Les indeed.

Look into PicKitPlus, it's a third party app that works just like (only better) the original standalone GUI app but updated to include many modern devices. It isn't free but it breaths new life into PicKit2/3 and doesn't need that pile of junk Mplabx.

TimB

I can recommend the PicKitplus software. I purchased several copies recently for me and others.

It's not free and neither should it be.

As an aside on paying for software. IMHO Proton is the best value software I have ever purchased.

If you have not purchased it yet then why not?

jmarkwolf

I had not heard of PicKitPlus, and will certainly look into it. Thanks.

I have most definitely invested in the new Proton, and share Tim's opinion about it being the best value software.

LeonJ

I can also recommend PickitPlus for XP and W10 with Pickit2/Pickit3. Works flawlessly and is regularly improved/updated for newer devices.

It also supports multiple Pickits2/3 simultaneously.

Stephen Moss

The original Microchip PICKit software will work with Windows 10, I don't use them with MPLAB but with the Stand alone GUIs.
That said as with others here I have purchased the PICkitPlus software to maintain compatibility with newer devices.   

John Drew

I use Mplab 8.92 with my PICkit3 and W10. Works fine.
Tried MplabX but didn't like it.
John

rick.curl

Another vote for Pickit Plus!  Evan Venn (the author of Pickit Plus) took Microchip's flaky software and fixed the issues.  While he was at it he added more features and support for more chips.  I heartily recommend it.  You can get it here: www.pickitplus.co.uk

From their website:
QuoteOur goal is to extend the life of the PICkit2 and PICkit3 Programmers.  We have invested nearly 4,500 man hours to rebuild, create a completely new utility, test and package.   This new version now supports the PIC18FxxQ43 chips !!

The intent of PICkitPlus  is to support programming of Microchip PIC microcontrollers.  The capabilities include:

•The software - the software in your package is specific to your license payment.  Your license comes with one year software support/maintenance from the date of purchase.
        - PICkit 3 Graphical user interface application.  Specific solution for the PICkit™ 3 In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer
        - PICkit 2 Graphical user interface application. Specific solution for the PICkit™ 2 In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer
        - PICkit Command line user interface application. Supports both PICkit™ 2 and 3 In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer
        - PICkitAutoWatch application. Supports both PICkit™ 2 and 3 In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer
        - PICkit Command line user interface application for Linux called PKCMD-LX.  Supports both PICkit™ 2 and 3 In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer • New programming protocol support for new classes of Microchips PIC microcontrollers and improved performance
* New support for setting Microchip PIC UserIDs

• Free - an updated and managed Microchips PIC microcontroller database with online version checker • Improved user interface • HEF/SAF support with optional automatic merging • Improved Help, guidance and direct access to the Microchips PIC microcontroller database.
• USB (Full speed 12 Mbits/s interface to host PC) & IDE compatible  for programming.
• Automatic event programming when using PICKitAutoWatch.

-Rick

rick.curl

Just another note- I have Microchip's Pickit 2, 3, and 4, but any time the Pickit 2 will support my target device, that's the programmer I use.   It just seems to be more stable, and usually faster because it's not always having to load new firmware.
You're probably aware that Microchip discontinued the Pickit 2 a long time ago. Many of the Pickit 2 knockoffs are just plain awful, but there's one that is really good. If you get on eBay and search for "Pickit 2", look for one that is in a rectangular beige-colored enclosure. Many eBay sellers offer these.  There's not a manufacturer's name on them, but they are simply wonderful as compared to the others. Beautiful layout inside, good manufacturing practices, and they come with a handy ribbon cable.  Note that unlike the Microchip Pickits, these have a male header on the unit instead of female, but the  ribbon cable does have a female on the end so they are still 100% compatible.

-Rick 

keytapper

I got a PicKit3, because my TL886A doesn't support MCU produced after 2010. For my hobby I think I won't need any upgrade.
Anyways I'm interested about keep my PicKit3 able to program newer MCU.
PicKitPlus Linux version seems the greatest solution for my intents.
Ignorance comes with a cost

m.kaviani

Quote from: John Drew on Feb 15, 2021, 10:12 AMI use Mplab 8.92 with my PICkit3 and W10. Works fine.
Tried MplabX but didn't like it.
John
many thanks . you saved my job.

Mapo

I have found PicKitMinus, software for PicKit2/3 for windows/linux/mac

http://kair.us/projects/pickitminus/

It's work well